Hospitality Cont Ed
HSL 050 – Food Service Certification
This course is designed to enable the student to learn the regulations, standards, principles, and practices of sanitation and hygiene in the food service industry. Successful completion of this course will qualify the student for the National Restaurant Association's Educational Foundation (NRAEF) National Sanitation Certificate. Topics to be covered include food safety systems, sanitation regulations and standards, responsibilities of a safe food handler, accident prevention procedures, storage principles, and procedures for proper purchasing and safe receiving of food.
1. discuss the role of food safety in a food service operation,
2. demonstrate an understanding of sanitation regulations and standards,
3. cite procedures for establishing food service safety systems,
4. discuss issues of food contamination and food-borne illnesses,
5. define viruses and discuss the impact of viruses in food preparation and production,
6. discuss and identify the principles of safe food storage,
7. demonstrate the ability to clean and sanitize a food production kitchen, and
8. obtain a NRAEF certificate.
HSL 053 – Get Paid to Travel
This course is designed to enable the student to learn how to work with tour operators to escort groups on local programs, domestic tours, international tours and cruises. The student will work with local tour operators, destination management companies, and receptive services. Topics to be covered include job responsibilities, group airport check-ins and arrivals, hotel and motor coach procedures, tour briefings, narration and documentation, tour safety, how to handle emergencies, and dealing with tour members.
HSL 055 – OPENING FOOD SERVICE BUSINESS
1. define the scope of service to be provided,
2. assess the need for the right location,
3. list the equipment needed for the specific type of food service business,
4. identify how to find suppliers, and
5. demonstrate the ability to write a HACCP plan.
HSL 081 – Special Events Basics
Discover the elements of effective special events planning. Learn what to consider when selecting a site and how to create an event timeline. Contracts, resources, and pricing are discussed.
HSL 082 – Special Events: Event Design Concepts
Increase your event planning skills by examining the important elements that help to create an event design plan. Developing themes, important site elements, and effective use of resources are explored. A continuation of the concepts explored in the "Special Events Basics" class.